Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Secret Knots: Comics about things we do without knowing why

First an update!

Chapter 2: The Playground- Finished
Word Count: 7,231
Words behind: 7,769

Will I be able to catch up? Maybe. I'll definitely try. Either way I'm alright with it. Writing this book was going to take longer then a month anyway. :P

Now onto the main thing I wanted to talk about today!

Many of you know that I enjoy a variety of webcomics that I check every morning Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My favorite one thus far is one called Gunnerkrigg Court(http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1). It was while checking that comic this morning that I came across another comic, one that captured my imagination.

http://www.thesecretknots.com/

The artist and writer of the comic is Juan Santapau who is a resident of Santiago, Chile. He updates whenever he's finished with the next part of the comic and doesn't try and force it. However, unlike most webcomics, there isn't a large interconnected storyline. Most pages are stand alone stories, though a few chain into each other to make slightly larger story arcs.

The reason I'm bringing this webcomic to your attention is quite simple. I haven't read fiction this whimsical, magical, and thought provoking in my entire life. The world in which all of his stories take place is one in which the line between fantasy and reality is blurred considerably. The people that tend to populate it are quiet and introspective, and often have some sort of bizzare happenstance in their lives that they just take for granted.

Things like midnight discussions with ghosts, a lost body of work from a composer whose music could make you taste the sweet flavor of lemon pie or feel the texture of a white handkerchief, to the story about a childhood lost and regained because of the truth fairy.

These small bits of creative writing and art flow together, their styles complimentary in the very best sense. The stories tend to leave you in wonder, wanting to ponder on their subject matter longer, ruminating in the flavors of the story. I highly reccomend it for anyone who wants to spend some time in a world where fiction and impossibility gently bobs up behind every corner, like a balloon inching its way further up a ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment